Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Is it January 7th yet?

PRELUDE: First of all, welcome to the new Blog, created as a necessary searchable blog per blogger.com. New visitors can click here for my old, busted, HTML stitched blog I will miss quite a lot.

So anyway, I hope everyone was successful in avoiding Christmas as I did (a nice safe topic to start my new blog on, LOL). With the exception of my family's visit and some year end parties, I found it necessary to avoid it all as much as possible this year. No Christmas songs, no shopping spree (no credit cards to spree with), no Santa worship. I didn't even watch "It's a Wonderful Life", being old enough to remember those seasons when basic cable was young and IAWL was still public domain-and the movie would be on as many as five channels at any time of the day or night. Actually, with expanded premium cable they do that with "Scarface" now. Or whatever movie Stacy Keach was in last week.

My point, I think, is I'm sick of it. Much has been made of this feeling by the media, particularly by dogmatic religious talking heads who sound a little desperate to stuff pews. I don't believe in God, but if Jesus in fact had some magic ability to not have been dead for the last 2000 years-and if he were to look at the annual nonsense we perpetrate in his name, would he be thrilled? Would he be proud? Or would he start to have the same queasy feeling about birthdays that I do (a topic to be visited next fall, ykwim)?

So I just revel in the annual family reunion, the appreciation of being cared about and caring about someone unconditionally, and of course-feasting! What's a little heartburn among friends?

No comments: